Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Prehistoric Mathematics

Many people might think that the prehistoric mathematics is not very interesting and it might be boring, but surprisingly, this era is when the numerals system was originated around five thousand and five hundred years ago. People who lived their thousands of years ago knew what numbers meant; they even knew how to count without any schools or teachers! They developed their skills, for example, the Ishango bone that was made by humankind which it goes back to more than 35,000 to 20,000 years ago in central Africa. This bone was used for tallying. When the Ishango bone was examined by Marshack, he believed that it might represent a sic moths calendar, it was considered as an acknowledgment of an everyday needs as a consequence of settlement and cultural advancement. Our ancestors used mathematics to track the moon, establish a calendar to calculate days, and for daily arithmetic needs.

5 comments:

  1. Math is never boring. You have a vast knowledge in the history Math. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My love for mathematics began in my childhood, and that pushed me to get my bachelor degree in mathematics. I'm interested not only in math but everything that is related to it such as its history and origins. For example, When I teach math I prefer to educate my students about the history of math or a specific theory such as how Pythagorean Theorem was discovered, then I teach them how to solve it. True, math is never boring.

      Thank you Catherine for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. good post, i love math its may favorite subject, i will get a degree with it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you rose, great Idea and I encourage you to start majoring in math, it's really an enjoyable subject.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy that you cover some historical facts about math. I did not know the information you provided and I think it is really cool. The world would be a completely different place without math. We use it in our daily lives, going to the store or for our jobs or even projects we do.

    ReplyDelete